Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is eligible to attend the Winter Institute?
The Winter Institute is open to anyone aspiring to learn about population health, including alumni of public health programs hoping to continue their education, professionals seeking new and refresher skills, and people new to the field.
- Is there a prerequisite for taking part in the Winter Institute?
Prerequisites are specific to each program. Please refer to the individual program page for more information.
- Where will the Winter Institute programs be held?
All Winter Institute programs will be held online.
- Is there an option to get on a waitlist if the program is full?
Once a program is full, registration will close. If you are interested in attending the program, we will add your name to the waitlist and inform you if a seat opens up for the program ahead of the start date.
- Are the Winter Institute programs available for academic credit?
The Winter Institute are competency-based, skill-building programs and do not offer academic credit.
- Is there a limit to the number of programs I can take?
There is no limit to the number of programs you can take.
- What will I receive as a proof of attendance?
Participants of the Winter Institute will receive a certificate of participation.
- What forms of payment do you accept for application? What are my options for making payment?
The preferred method of payment is with credit card. Boston University is not responsible for any bank charges incurred while processing your payment.
- Do you offer scholarships?
PHX provides a 25 percent discount to students, SPH alumni, and BU faculty and staff. We will also offer a 25 percent discount for any resident of upper-middle-income countries, lower-middle-income countries and low-income countries (based on the World Bank Classification).
Individuals registering for more than one paid program at full price will receive a 15 percent discount. A 15 percent discount is also offered to organizations sending three or more paid program participants. (Please note discounts cannot be combined)
- Once I have registered for the Winter Institute, what is next?
Once you have registered for a program, you will receive an email confirming your registration. Additional information on the program will be emailed to you in the weeks following your registration.
- What is the Winter Institute attendance policy?
All the programs in the Winter Institute are intensive short courses, so participants are expected to attend the full length of the program to receive a letter of completion.
- What is your program cancellation/refund policy?
Refunds for programs will be made according to the schedule below and based on the start date of the program being delivered. (In the event that PHX cancels a program, participants will receive a 100% refund.)
# of Calendar Days Before Start Date Refund 30+ 100% minus $75 administrative fee 15 – 29 50% minus $75 administrative fee 1 – 14 No refund
PHX reserves the right to decline refund requests.
- Who do I contact if I want to make a change to my registration?
To make changes to your registration, please contact BUSPH Lifelong Learning at email@example.com.
- Is it possible to transfer my registration to a different program?
Yes, it is possible to transfer your registration to a different program if a seat is available in the program you are interested in switching to. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.