Home Forums From Data to Dashboards Winter 2022 Discussion 2 (DTDW22)

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Liz Lewis
      • Which type of graph do you think is best for showing Flores del Mundo’s membership trends over the course of the year?

• Does your answer change if you’re graphing total membership versus employee/spouse/dependent?

• Does your answer change if you want to show Eastern and Northern on the same graph?

Annie Pro
      Participant

I think that a line graph is a good choice because it shows trends over a period of time, in this case over a year. It can show the months of low and high membership.
      I would use a 2D bar chart for graphing total membership because I would just be comparing membership between employee/spouse and child. One bar graph would be used to show both Eastern and Northern because it would be the best way to show how the Eastern was doing compared with the Northern.

I think that a line graph would be best for sharing membership trends over the course of the year as it can depict the ebbs and flows easily. If i was graphing total membership vs employee/spouse/dependent, i would switch to a bar graph with different colors to show which bar is higher/lower than the others more easily. To show eastern and northern on that same chart, I would have those regions on the bottom, and then each bar on the bar graph would be a different color for each type of membership.

Yawei Song
      Participant

The best graph to show Flores del Mundo’s membership trends over the course of the year will be line graph, with each month as a data point. The line will provide a clear visual trend of the number of memberships.
      I will change to a mixed graphing method showing total membership versus employee/spouse/dependent. With the total membership as the line graph, and each membership type (employee, spouse, child) in a different colored bar grouped together in each month.
      If the purpose is to show Eastern and Northern on the same graph and compare each group’s membership over the course of the year, then I will prefer using the line graph and having different colors representing Eastern and Northern.

Julia D’Ambrosio
      Participant

I would use a line graph to track the Flores Del Mundo membership over the course of a year. A line graph is best at simply looking at chronological trends.
      If we were to change it to look at membership between employee, spouses, and dependents, I would most likely use a bar graph. Bar graphs are great for comparing categorical data.
      If I want to show membership of employees, spouses, and dependents on the same graph, I may use a bar graph with sub groups, and the two sub groups would be the two zones.

Tyler Sherman
      Participant

I believe a line graph would be best for showing total membership over the course of the year, but would move to a bar graph when breaking up the various membership types.

When having both Northern and Eastern on the same graph, I would likely break them up into three different lines graphs based on each membership type. Only one line graph if doing total membership for each of them.

Emma Warren
      Participant

I think that the best type of graph for showing Flores del Mundo’s membership trends over the course of the year is a line graph. This is because line graphs are generally the best to display how values (membership) have changed over time (the year). A line graph will clearly show movement throughout the year.

If graphing total membership vs employee/spouse/dependent, I would use a bar graph which is useful for focusing on individual values while also comparing the data.

For showing Eastern and Northern Membership on the same graph, I would use a bar graph similar to the right graph in Figure 1 from Few’s article since there are 2 sets of categorical data: time and region.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.