Home Forums From Data to Dashboards Summer 2023 Discussion 4 (DTDS23)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Liz Lewis
      • Have you encountered many/any box-and-whisker plots in the course of your work? On other dashboards?

• What about histograms?

• If you have little or no prior experience with them, do you think they are easy to understand? If not, can you think of some alternate ways to display distribution data?

Tessa Kehoe
      Participant

– Occasionally, it depends on the type of data.
      – I’ve seen more box and whisker plots than histograms
      – I think they are, once you orient yourself and mentally label what the lines mean and what data they are representing

Joey Griffith
      Participant

I have encountered some box and whisker plots in the work that I do, but not many. It is definitely an effective tool to utilize on a dashboard, but I haven’t engaged with it as frequently compared to other types of graphs. I think this is because it’s not the most understandable graph compared to other types of graphs. You have to understand what you are looking for in a box and whisker plot, and that isn’t as easily accessible. Comparing both histograms and box and whisker plots, histograms are much more comprehendible to the person with little to no data analysis skills.

Lisa DeAlmeida
      Participant

I haven’t encountered Box & whisker plots or histograms in my work, although I am familiar with them from coursework. I think that once you know what you are looking for, they are easy to understand.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.