Home Forums From Data to Dashboards Winter 2022 Discussion 4 (DTDW22)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Liz Lewis
      • Have you encountered many/any box-and-whisker plots in the course of your work? On other dashboards?

• What about histograms?

• If you have little or no prior experience with them, do you think they are easy to understand? If not, can you think of some alternate ways to display distribution data?

While I have dealt with a lot of different data depictions at work, I have not encountered any histograms or box and whisker plots. I do think they’re very easy to understand, but we mostly stick to bar graphs and tables bringing in data from pivot tables.

Tyler Sherman
      Participant

I have not, mostly in my undergraduate studies with statistics courses. I am going to begin projects that analyze individual and accumulative grades for various courses, which I believe could benefit from box and whisker plots

I think with some explanation they make sense, but quartiles and percentiles often go over the heads of folks who do not look at numbers often.

Annie Pro
      Participant

I have only encountered them during my time as an MPH student. I think histograms are easy to understand and box-whisker plots can be easily digested with some explanations.

Julia D’Ambrosio
      Participant

I have not encountered many box and whisker plots or histograms during my MPH.
      I think they are easy to understand, but I think the histograms are a little easier than the box and whisker plots.
      I like how the box and whisker plots show the outliers in the data set, and I think for a data set with more variance they are useful.

For alternatives, I would use a bar graph to represent the data. I think it looks similar to a histogram in how it distributes the data. They both convey the shape of the data well.

Emma Warren
      Participant

I have not actually encountered many (or any) box-and-whisker plots in the course of my work or in dashboards I have come across. I have not seen many histograms either.

That being said, I think it is mostly easy to understand them. Having bins seems useful to quickly and easily show data that fits into certain categories. Box-and-whisker plots I think look most useful in identifying those outliers which might otherwise skew the interpretation of a dashboard.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.