After completing this module, the student will be able to:
- Define atherosclerosis and describe the basic mechanism by which it develops, including the response to injury theory.
- Compare and contrast the terms ischemia and infarction.
- Explain the mechanisms by which poorly controlled diabetes and poorly controlled hypertension contribute to heart disease.
- Discuss the risk factors for atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.
- Discuss evidence-based strategies for prevention of atherosclerosis, diabetes, and hypertension.
Developed by Wayne W. LaMorte, MD, PhD, MPH, Assistant Dean for Education, Boston University School of Public Health.