After completing this module, the student will be able to:
- Describe the distinguishing features of a cancer.
- Discuss the mechanism by which cancers evolve.
- Explain what is meant by “metastasis” and the mechanisms by which it occurs.
- Explain the difference between the “grade” and the “stage” of a cancer.
- Discuss risk factors for cancer and strategies for prevention.
- Define the following terms:
- Cell differentiation
- Benign tumor
- Malignant tumor
- Proto-oncogene and oncogene,
- Tumor-suppressor gene (anti-oncogene)
Developed by Wayne W. LaMorte, MD, PhD, MPH, Assistant Dean for Education, Boston University School of Public Health.