After completing this module, the student will be able to:
- Describe the function of alveoli with respect to exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide.
- Describe the role of hemoglobin in oxygen transport and the adverse effects of carbon monoxide.
- Explain how the occurrence and severity of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma relates to environmental factors and be able to give examples of factors known to trigger asthma attacks.
- List the six criteria air pollutants, and discuss the impact of air pollution on health.
- Discuss the impact of environmental tobacco smoke on health.
Developed by Wayne W. LaMorte, MD, PhD, MPH, Assistant Dean for Education, Boston University School of Public Health.