After completing this module, the student will be able to:
- Explain how DNA encodes genetic information and the role of messenger RNA and transfer RNA.
- Explain how DNA directs protein synthesis and the roles of DNA and proteins in regulating cell function.
- Demonstrate how to predict the possible genotypes that could occur in an offspring, provided one knows the genotype of the two parents.
- Explain what a mutation is and give examples of how it might occur.
- Define the following terms:
- Transcription and translation
- Homozygous vs. heterozygous
- Dominant, recessive, and co-dominant alleles
Developed by Wayne W. LaMorte, MD, PhD, MPH, Assistant Dean for Education, Boston University School of Public Health.